Do you have a competitor offering a similar or a related product? Or do you want your product to look more professional and unique? If yes, then you need to have a logo to identify your product.Here are some few reasons as to why you need design a logo.
- A logo will help you to look professional.
- It will make you stand out and distinguishes your product from your competitors by ensuring that your brand is unique.
- A logo will always stick in the mind of your customer ensuring that they always remember you.
- A logo will also make you look more qualified hence promoting your product.
- A logo also attracts the attention of new customers hence promoting your product.
- It also ensures consistency of your brand across the marketing platforms such as social media.
How to design a logo like professional?
As observed, a logo is an integral asset to any growing business. For the logo to accomplish its purpose, it must be done correctly so that the result will be appealing. A good logo should be versatile, appropriate, simple, memorable and independent of time. Here are the steps to follow while designing a logo.
1. Do some research
The first step is always getting information. What is the primary message that you want the logo to convey? Which is the primary goal that you want the logo to achieve? What is the status of your primary clients? Which are the best tools and software to use? What type of a logo do you want? Logos are classified into three; iconic, typographic and combination logo. Research will help you in choosing the type that suit your product. The combinational logo is the most effective especially for small businesses since it gives a unique symbol and a simple description.You can design a logo like professional. Nonetheless, through research, you will be able to create a logo that best suits your main clients concerning their gender, age, passion and more depending on your product. Also, your primary objective and message whether it is professionalism or uniqueness can only be achieved if you do research. It is good always to ensure that you identify other logos used for products which are similar to what you offer. Do you like the logos? Identify the strength and weaknesses of those logos. Knowing what your competitors have is crucial in helping you to decide and come up with an appropriate, unique, appealing and an easy to remember logo.
2. Make a sketch of your idea
After identifying what you want in your research, conceptualization is another essential step. Draw what you have in mind on a piece of paper or use a vector program. Sketching is crucial as it helps you to experiment different styles that you have hence coming up with the best design. In this step, you also determine the size of your logo. Freehand sketching is better in including the more delicate details which cannot be done using the software. While sketching, identify the aspects that separate your product from what is offered by your competitors and include it in your drawing. Since this is an experimental step, you should do many samples until you entirely transform your idea into what you want. Taking your time in this stage will ease your work in the steps that follow. Here are some reasons why sketching is essential.
- Sketching is used for exploring numerous options ensuring that only the best are incorporated in the final design.
- Sketching saves a significant amount of time when doing the final design.
- It also helps the designer to identify the best layout for the given logo.
- Sketching is a fast way of presenting a rough idea and improving on it through several trials.
3. Determine the color to use
The color of your logo plays an immense role in attracting the attention of your audience. The color should be one medium of conveying the message of what your product is all about. That being said, you should not choose a color because it’s your favorite; instead, the color should portray a specific aspect of your company or product. Color psychology is also an aspect to deliberate on while choosing your color to use. Every color mainly the primary and secondary colors has its meaning. For instance, blue means trusted, honest, calm and secure. Red is taken as bold, intense, passionate and active. Black is translated as sophisticated, stylish, authoritative and expensive. Knowing the color psychology will help to make the right decision concerning the product your company offers. Below are some notable logos which have utilized the color psychology.
4. Making the final design
Given that you have sketched the logo you want; the remaining part is putting everything together. At this point, you should choose a designer tool to use while creating your logo. Some of the prominent software you can use in your design are Adobe Illustrator and Logomaker. Choose the software that you are comfortable using. Some of the factors to consider when choosing a logo maker are:
- Reputation, reviews and ratings from other customers who have used it before.
- Availability of customer care and support either online or an attachment when purchasing the software.
- The software you choose should not be limited in terms of designs and layouts in order to meet your exact requirement.
- The logo maker you select should be user-friendly to ensure that your work will be professional and to save time while making the design.
Depending on the type of the logo, several procedures have to be followed to get the intended logo. Let’s consider the combinational mark as it includes both the iconic and typographic logos. The process of designing a logo is similar to all the software. Most software differs only in their layout. Below is the procedure to follow when making a combinational mark.
- Launch your software. This is simple, you just get the app from your computer and open it.
- The second thing is to choose the icon. Most designer software has more than a thousand icons. These icons are categorized according to item brands so all you need to do is to look for your category or search by keyword.
- Add your product or company name. Most designer tools have a text box, so you just need to click on it, choose the font that pairs with your icon style and type in the product or company name. the positioning of the name is very important. Always keep in mind that you are making the logo to promote your business and so it should be appealing.
- The other step is to modify your icon and product name. All the designer tools have the modifying tools section. Use the tools to change the color, change the font, increase character size, rotate the image, change the font among other things.You should adjust your logo until you attain the required specifications.
- After getting the required logo, the last step is saving your project.
As described above, designing a logo is not a hard task. All that is required is the knowledge of what is needed and following the simple steps. Nevertheless, several precautions have to be taken while designing the logo to attain maximum efficiency.
- Your logo should not lose its definition after scaling. The logo should be effective while in use in large format and even after scaling it down into a small logo.
- Ensure that the color you use for your logo matches the color psychology and the product that your company develop. Also avoid using colors that are so bright and hard to see.
- Make sure that the font you use is legible when reduced in size.
- Do not use the most ordinary fonts to ensure that your logo is professional.
- Consider your audience when making the logo. Remember that the sole purpose of the logo is to capture the attraction of your clients. Including what they are passionate about in the logo acts as an icebreaker for both parties.
In conclusion, it is essential to have a logo for your business. A logo can boost your business in a shorter time span as compared to other forms of marketing. It can inspire people making them try your product even though they never used to be your customers. As illustrated, to design a good, appealing, memorable and versatile logo, the simple steps have to be followed. You need to start with a detailed research to help you identify precisely what you need. You then need to sketch the layout of the logo. Don’t limit yourself while sketching, make the drawings until you get what you want. Sketches are most important because they are flexible; you can edit them whenever you want. You then need to identify the color to use in your logo. Research color psychology before you decide on the color which to use. You then specify the type of the logo that you want, choose fonts and modify the logo to get what you want.